Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yes, Cameron, change does foster growth

In the summer of 2005, I was getting ready to embark upon two great adventures: London study abroad in the fall and my mission in the winter. Being a soon-to-be 21 year old, I was freaked out of my mind that I was leaving Provo and subsequently all of my friends. One day I talked with my friend, Cameron, about my fears for the future. I was afraid of all the changes and especially the unknown. Nonchalantly Cameron said, "Susie, change fosters growth." It is a statement that has stuck with me since. I don't talk to Cameron anymore but I will always be grateful for those profound three words.

Ever since that time, I have reminded myself that change fosters growth. I told myself that as I flew to London. I came home from that experience so grateful that I went. I made wonderful friends and gained a greater perspective of the world. Then I went on my mission. Changes were always inevitable as I ended up serving with twelve different companions in four different areas. Each transfer I chanted, "change fosters growth." And it did...every time! I grew so much from my mission and it will always be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

This past semester was again a change. I moved wards and apartments and I lived with completely random roommates. I loved everything about last semester. It was one of the best at BYU. Not so much for the social life, the ward, or the classes but I grew as an individual; I redeemed my independence and learned some very valuable lessons.

This brings us to today. I leave for D.C. in 24 hours. I can honestly say that I am not scared. I am excited for this experience and feel extreme peace about going. I know that this is somewhere that I am supposed to go; even if it's only for a semester. Yes, I will miss my roommates and my many friends in Provo. I will definitely miss my family in Utah. However, if I confront a moment of fear all I need to do is to remember what Cameron said, "change fosters growth."

Yes, Cameron, it does and it will.

4 comments:

Chrissie said...

I hate change too but Cameron is right! I am trying to remember that change is good as I (try to) start waking up at 5 am to exercise with some ladies in my ward! Early to bed, early to rise!

linda said...

We will miss you so much while you are making your next change. But everything you have done has turned out so well. Have a glorious experience with this next chapter in your life.

DiaNe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DiaNe said...

You are gonna ROCK it! Just remind yourself, "The only trial you're not going to overcome is death".

And you are NOT going to die in DC.