We could go off about all the things we don't have. However, she said that as she has tried to look at life abundantly, she has found many more blessings. She has learned to dwell on the positives and not on the negatives. This topic has been discussed many times. Heck, wasn't it years ago that Oprah said that she writes in a gratitude journal??? I really like this way of thinking.
I have been so blessed in my life, truly I have. However it seems when I lack a few things, I dwell on those few things I don't have. Luckily, Heavenly Father is there to give me the necessary slap in the face (metaphorically speaking) when I forget all that I have been blessed with this year.
So I wanted to publicly announce my gratitude by mentioning a few people that I am grateful for in my life:
Dad: for his life and legacy. For his righteousness and gospel insights. For his ability to grow stronger in times of trial and tribulation.
Mom: for always being a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on. She may hobble around now, but she puts a smile on her face and has an optimistic attitude.
Kathryn: for being my cheerleader, telling me that I can do hard things with my life. She is proactive herself and so I have tried taking up that attitude and making the most with my life.
Mark: for also being an example of proactivity. For giving me sound advice and making me feel like I am worth a million dollars. (I am his favorite sister-in-law you see....shhhhh)
Julie: for being so kind-hearted and supportive of my life. She is an example of trust and compassion. Plus, she'll shimmy with me when the right song comes on. Baby!
Sam: for always challenging my opinion and perspective, forcing me to create my own. For being an example of righteousness. For laughing at my ridiculous jokes...or life...
Chrissie: for being a Barbara Walters to me. I know I can confide in her when I need a friend. She is personable, caring, and kind. Plus, she will be silly with me anytime!
Scott: for being so good. When I think of Scott, I think of goodness. For his calming nature. I know I am always welcome at their house and he likes it when I'm there.
John: For his witty sense of humor and his desire to know about my life. I know I can laugh with him about silly things. For his desire to be in touch with everyone. For his gentleness...
Karla: For her knowledge of all of the cheesy romances out there! She is my pride and prejudice guru. She is also very personable and I enjoy talking to her.
Stephen: For his ability to follow the spirit. For the fact that I can tell him about spiritual things and he'll get it. For his validation of me and support in my life.
Jenny: For her outspoken nature that helps me to be more courageous. She is one of my cheerleaders and I appreciate her interest and care in my life.
For all my nieces and nephews: For making me feel like the coolest aunt ever even if I don't always play with you. For your hugs, for your compliments. For teaching me essential truths and reminding me of my greater purpose that lies ahead.
Zandy: for making me feel like the most beautiful person in the world and for constantly giving me love and support.
Diane: for her ability to make me laugh about random things. For being my teaching confidante, a constant friend, and another single sympathizer.
Erin: for being my bestie this semester. For letting me show my my true colors immediately. For watching every sappy movie with me that we own.
Satyra: for laughing at my jokes, telling me that I'm pretty when she's the gorgeous one, for being her sweet self and then stealing all the boys. :)
Adrienne: for our discussions about the gospel, for our united hatred of pets, for emptying the dishwasher and loading it all the time.
Ashley: for being my best friend. For teaching me about charity. For making fun of quills and swords peeps on campus.
Shauna: for letting me cry in front of her, for giving me a benefit of a doubt, for being able to carry on a very spiritual then a very silly conversation with her.
Marcee: for also letting me cry, for being my dancing buddy, for being really excited about things, for involving me in her life.
Samuel: for writing me love notes on gmail, for being a worthy priesthood holder, for thinking I'm cool after months of not liking me that much.
Carolyn: for being someone that I can confide in, for drinking hot chocolate at her house, for being so strong and an example to me.
Kathleen: for being the only friend from high school that I really talk to, for supporting me in whatever I do, for laughing at my not-so-funny jokes. For always being there.
Stacia: for being someone who believes in me and who thinks I'm amazing. For being a wonderful listening ear and a true friend.
Joanna: for letting me spill my deep emotions to her, for being so understanding, for loving me even when I am spastic, for being a constant friend.
There are many people that I left out so if you're reading this and I didn't mention you, don't feel bad! These are people that came to my mind but there are many many more out there who have made a huge impact on me this year that I didn't even mention.
Above all, I am grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am grateful for his sacrifice that is eternal. He knows me the best. He is my friend and I strive to show him my appreciation by serving him.
May we all remember that we have abundant lives this Thanksgiving. It's all a matter of how we look at it...
P.S. I know this is a random pic, but I kinda like it. The caption for the photo is "gratitude rocks." Knee slapper, I know.
6 comments:
Thanks, honey! I'm oh so greatful for you and your ability to transfer from silly friend to trusted spiritual ally. You are so wise.
Wednesday was fun!
Susie - Besides my wife you have been one of my biggest fans, chearing me on and offering validation. I'm grateful for your goodness and you are an example to me of followin the Spirit when it's easy to get distracted with my busy schedule.
Wow, I feel so special to be mentioned in your blog, seriously! That is such a nice thing to say. I am grateful for all of your gospel insights...how is it that our baby sister is soooo wise? Thanks for being such a good friend to me and giving me great advice. And you make great mixes baby!
Thanks for the nice comments about everyone. Ditto to it all! I like the new blog look. Love you Sue! So grateful you'll be relatively close by soon!
Ahhhh - I'm the last of your sisters to comment. What a wonderful post for Thanksgiving and what kind words about everyone! We had so much for with you on Thanksgiving. It would have been so dry without you there. Yes, the kids do think you are an amazingly cool Aunt and I do believe you are a cheerleader to ALL of us. I'm thankful you remind me that I'm still young at heart even though I have gray hairs! Eeeek!! Here's to Richard...too many to mention! Loved Christmas Card too! Love you tremendously!
That was nice of you to say, thank you. Just call me the gentle giant.
Post a Comment