Thursday, August 27, 2009

Recalculating

Anyone who has a GPS knows that when you take a wrong turn, the GPS recalculates until it finds new directions for you to follow. The detour may not be what you expected, but in the end you still get to where you need to go.

I find that God recalculates our lives constantly. We have in our mind the pre-determined destination and we see the clear direction of how we're going to get to that destination, but God often has other plans in mind. He provides barriers and alternate routes, but He still will lead us to that destination. Heck, sometimes He leads us to an entirely different destination; one we had never even thought of!

This has been on my mind lately because something very unexpected just occurred in my life. The job that I had as a Middle School teacher is no longer because of some licensing issues with the school district and the state. To put it plainly, I did not graduate with the necessary requirements to get me a Virginia License in Social Studies. So as far as teaching that subject, I am not qualified due to these lack of classes or credits. If I were in Utah this would not be an issue at all. Virginia is really specific with its requirements and does not budge. Darn Virginia.

It had nothing to do with my skill or my performance as a teacher. As my principal put it "it's something entirely out of the control of the school, which is unfortunate because I hear that you're dynamite."

If you really want to know the nitty gritty details, you can call me, but we can leave it at that right now. I thought it was only fair that my blogger audience know because I announced my job so publicly and you would soon catch on that I am not teaching U.S. History.

What a blow it has been! I cannot express how hard this has been on my optimistic and "God is a God of miracles" soul. But I feel at peace, truly. After much prayer and thought, I know that the Lord is merely recalculating my life. I think my ultimate destination is teaching but I guess the route to get there will be a little more complicated than I had originally planned.

So, I am back to square one. When I find a job that is totally and completely legit, I will inform you.

And yes, God is still a God of miracles. And He will provide another one.

9 comments:

Kathryn said...

I know things will work out. It will be interesting to see what direction your life takes in the next week, month, year....glad I can be along for the ride. Praying for your happiness and success. Love you.

luvmymunchkins said...

Huge bummer. I'm sorry Suz. We'll keep praying and hoping.

karla said...

That really stinks Susie. We'll keep you in your prayers - I'm sure the Lord knows what He's doing.

Charisse Baldwin said...

Oh no! That's terrible. can you take the extra class (or whatever it is) by independent study or something so you can actually teach there? Could you teach in Maryland (are you even close enough to). I guess you must be stuck in a tunnel, the worst part about GPS's (in my opinion) because you always get lost and lose the signal. Don't worry, once you get out, it will recalibrate you will know where to go.

DiaNe said...

this is a bummer! But hey, they hear you're dynamite! Either they consider you a lethal explosive or have heard good things about you.

My guess is the latter. This is good--your name is already out there!

Julie said...

I love you, Susie. I know you'll find your way and yes, things will work out. Keep on keepin' on. I'm thankful for your faith. It is truly an example for me; as you know we can relate with each other! We'll keep the prayers coming.

Chrissie said...

Susie, I know that this has got to be so hard but I know in the end things will work out and work out for the better. Then you will look back and say "I'm soooo glad that didn't work out". That's happened to me several times. I love you and know something will come your way.

john said...

Such a disappointment. We'll be praying that a new opportunity will surface.

jbaer said...

Good Post! I feel what you said is true. You be guided to the right route soon enough.