Sometimes I forget how things are often better than expected. Especially when I set my expectations low. In April I had consigned myself to living at home. The theme of my summer (at that time) was "committing social suicide." However, things turned out for the better and here's why:
I lived at home so I saved tons of money, never had to grocery shop, and my mom cooked dinner for me (well, sometimes:).
I went to a single's ward that I really didn't want to go to in the first place. However, I went. I made some friends who reminded me of some essential truths. I taught Gospel Doctrine so I got to strengthen my teaching abilities. My bishopric was amazing and were so supportive of me, though I was only there 3 months.
EFY turned out to be a nice social break. In fact, the sociality it provided compensated for my non-sociality in Cedar Hills.
...Yet, I was still social in Cedar Hills. I hung out some of my Provo friends and volunteered as an ESL tutor. I hung out with peeps, but then got to chat it up with the madre at home.
I got to strengthen my relationship with my siblings. All of them. I visited John and Steve's families and saw them when they came up to Utah. Kathryn was in Utah for 4 weeks and I got to see her and the kiddos. Chrissie and Julie were a hop, skip, and a jump away. I got to get to know my nieces and nephews better and spend some quality Auntie time with them.
Chrissie and I exercised together a lot (well, in May). That was good for me and that was good for her. Overall, it was good for both of us as it improved our sanity!:)
Mom and I became compatible roommates. She colored her humanitarian packets and watched Fox News while I applied for jobs, occasionally watching Fox News. Most importantly, we had some great talks and I am more grateful for her. Sappy. (And I will admit that I am becoming more addicted to Fox News...never thought that would happen!)
I also learned some very valuable lessons, some I have posted on this very blog.
See, living at home was better than expected.
Living in DC (as I am typing) is proving to be better than expected too. More on that later...
God knows what is right, doesn't He?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad it was a good experience this summer. I miss you lots but I too will survive. Love you...
I miss you and am grateful for all the time we had together this summer. I think it's time for more exercise since I am losing my sanity! Love you!
God is rather wise.
But on the last post...I am deeply in love with Ross home decor. Everytime I go, I spend so much money, but I don't feel bad because I buy such cute stuff!
Post a Comment