Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Feudalism Fun!

Who knew Feudalism could be so much fun?? Do you even know what it is? Go look it up.

As many of you know I am teaching World History this year (not my favorite), but what I have been looking forward to ALL year long is the simulation that I came up (with the help of my awesome student teacher, Aimee) that would bring the students back to the Dark Ages. With the simulation, students were given roles: serfs, knights, nobles, and king and would role play their status in Medieval Europe. We discussed how feudalism changed as a result of the Crusades, Black Death, and Magna Carta. It was a blast. Students were stoned, and killed off by the Black Death. The King forced the students to dance in front of the class and to open his king size Snickers bar. Not only did I get to become a Pope and Aimee a monk/Muslim for the simulation, but I also got to use my horrid English/Aussie accent and say to my students things like: "Shush, serf, you are the scum of the earth. Your opinion means nothing to me or to God." It was awesome to be so dramatic and the students got into it.

Here is the Pope and the Monk. I know, I do look horrid in this picture, but I only share for memory sake. Don't judge me on my teacher looks...


And we did get a picture of one of my students who came DECKED out as a knight. He told me later that he has never had so much fun in history class before. My heart melted...

If I teach this class again next year, you bet we are doing the simulation, but it will be new and improved since I'll know how to make it better.

This is what makes teaching fun. Hooray for feudalism! Even if it was a wretched existence...

1 comment:

DiaNe said...

yay Susie!! This day looks like so much fun!!