Many times in my life I have felt like I've had to prove--something--to the world. I think this is a fairly common notion. Here comes a burst of honesty...ready?I have never been a size 6 supermodel type and, as a result, I have often felt that I need to prove to people, especially men, that I am cool. I may not have the perfect body or the perfect looks, but I can ultimately convince someone that I am worth knowing. I have done this in a variety of ways. I can play sports. I have a testimony. I served a mission. I have a decent singing voice, I have traveled. I have good motherly skills. I am outgoing and have good social skills and the list goes on...Yah, I'm pretty special but why do I feel like I have to prove this to others? (Obviously, there is some underlying insecurities...lame).
In so many instances I have felt like I need to prove my awesomeness to people, merely to show that I am something special. It's a bad habit to get into as it can easily lead to pride and selfishness. When that alarm goes off, I know I need a reality check.
Tonight at Institute we studied Moses in the Pearl of Great Price. We discussed the many doctrines and principles that we can gain from the first chapter of Moses. Creation, God having a body, us being created in the image of God, and our ability to overcome Satan's temptations were a few of the topics to name a few. What struck me though is Moses and his ability to not be tempted by Satan and his willingness to call upon God. He knew he was a son of God, not man. He spoke to God face to face. Although tempted by the adversary, he did not waiver in his knowledge of God and ultimately God's plan (to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man). Ultimately, he did not have an identity crisis. He didn't have to prove anything to anyone because he simply knew that he was a son of God, divinely created in God's image. That was enough for him. Despite his weaknesses and fear, he knew his royal heritage and divinity.
I wish I remembered that more often; especially when I am quick to want to show off my awesomeness to others. Yes, I definitely think there is a place to be proud of your accomplishments but ultimately I don't need to prove my coolness. I am a daughter of God. He loves me. I have the potential to be like Him. He knows I'm awesome and therefore, I should never underestimate the divine identity that comes with that knowledge.
I'm awesome. You are too. God knows you're awesome. No need to prove it to me or to the world. Thanks, Moses, for being awesome yourself.
P.S. You know what else is awesome? I entered the MTC 5 years ago today. Shoot, that's awesome.
5 comments:
You are awesome - you don't need to prove it to me. But, I know what you're saying. I love your insights!
I agree with Julie. You are awesome and it's awesome you wrote this post. Very insightful. Love you lots!
So true Suz! That realization is one that needs continual reminding as it can be easy to forget that! I hope everything is going well for you! Have a great week!
Those who know you know how awesome you are. For all others --their loss.
I knew you were awesome right away!!
Post a Comment