Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back in the Swing of Things

It's almost like I never went home for Christmas. Honestly, it's hard to remember those days when I actually got to sleep in, spend time with the fam, and not have to lecture a student for the billionth time not to cuss, be on their cell phone, talk during the warm-up, or every other thing that I tell them NOT to do.

This teaching business is exhausting. Have I mentioned that?

So here I am, back in the swing of things. Getting up at 5:45am to get to work early. Staying after school way after I planned so that I can help students with missing work, calling parents to tell them that their student is failing my class. Oh, and by the way, I have called 30 parents in the last few days to tell them that their student is failing my class. Yah, 30. It doesn't seem like a lot, but trust me, it is. Emailing colonials (my word for the Mormon YSA in the area) about Institute and then attending Institute on Tuesday nights. Dinners with friends. Running (I am re-training for another half marathon again:). FHE. And the normal housekeeping things I do to have some type of sanity.

Oh, and I have a student teacher from BYU as well. She's awesome and it will be a great situation. But, who ever thought that a teacher with only one year of experience could be a mentor? Not I. But here I am, mentoring...when two years ago I was student teaching. A good experience so far.

So, yes, people, I am alive and well but busy. Super busy. But life is good and I am happy to be busy and blessed to have so many great things to celebrate.

3 comments:

linda said...

I forgot when talking to you tonight about the student teaching experience. I'll have to get an update. You'll be a great mentor. You'll get through January -- it always goes away. Love you.

Sarah Johnson said...

true that girl, true that!!!
i'd take you as my mentor any day... hang in there!!

Julie with sticktoitkids.com said...

30? Sounds like a lot to me. Wow! I quite like January. I get a lot done! So, no, I don't get in a winter funk. At least I don't think I do. You are a mentor to me...