Monday, October 5, 2009

Why I am a teacher of secondary-not elementary-education

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend, criticize, or judge people who choose to teach elementary education. Merely, it is a testimonial of why I personally enjoy the secondary level. Cool?

Reasons why I chose to not partake of the "joys" of elementary education...as taken from experiences of today's subbing adventures.
  • I don't have to worry about everyone's roles. If I forget that "so-and-so" is the milk monitor it is not the end of the world.
  • A tattle-tale is of the devil. Ok, not really. But seriously, do you always have to tell me that Johnny is putting his finger up his nose or that Sally is making spit bubbles?
  • Whoa...if I do not follow routine, I better watch out. Twenty kindergartners may be completely distraught because I did the weather before I marked the day on the calendar. Pardon me.
  • I don't have to spend half the day worrying about whether or not the kids are peeing their pants.
  • During class discussions, I don't have to listen to five kiddos retelling a story that does not pertain AT ALL to the question I posed.
  • Usually kids that I normally teach do not take FOREVER to say something. I know, patience is a virtue.
  • Kids raising their hand even if they have absolutely no answer or comment to share.
  • Kids poking, biting, punching, andpinching each other.
  • Worrying about snack time and the fact that Grace is allergic to peanuts and dairy.
  • Smelling the child's bodily functions that are usually released in more private settings. yuck.
These are just a few examples and really, it wasn't bad at all. But I am a secondary teacher, that's for sure.

Disclaimer #2: I really don't hate children and I promise that I will be a good mother and that I will love my five year old for all of his/her questions, stories, and bodily functions. Pinky swear.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

That all made me laugh. Those are the exact reasons why elementary ed is so fun:). Funny kids. I even had a kid throw up right in front of me when all the kids in my student teaching class were huddled around me at the fish tank for a lesson on living and non-living things. You have to laugh at those bodily functions.

DiaNe said...

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but with the exception of peeing the pants, I have encountered all of these.

It's what makes teaching so much fun!

DiaNe said...

ok, most of these. No unfortunate bodily functions, but for the most part, high school kids are just toddlers in larger bodies.

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

That's why I'm teaching 5th and 6th so I don't have to worry about kids peeing their pants and picking their noses, but I can actually teach information! ;-) But you also get to mold the minds of young children and they are still mostly innocent. But high school is good too. ;-)

Alan and Alexis said...

Sorry that comment was me. I have a new email address and it didn't transfer over right. Hope things are going well for you Susie!

Baerman said...

Reminds me of Sunbeams, especially the random stories... those get REAL old! Amy's starting to the random stories now. I have to be patient with her sometimes.