Thursday, October 22, 2009

Be the Best Sub Ever

Since moving out here I will admit that I have been slapped in the face by humility. I came out here with 2 1/2 suitcases and a backpack full of my stuff. Other than those things and a few friends I honestly didn't have much to boast. No car, no job, no man...what is a girl to do?

However, as disappointing as things have been (mostly with the job situation), I have been greatly blessed. I now sub at this Catholic School and the people there have been so good to me. In addition to subbing, I help out at the after school program where I get the joy and privilege of telling kids to clean up their messes, to be nice to each other, and to make sure that they wash their hands before they eat their snack. It's completely hilarious because I am doing what I never, ever wanted to do--Be a babysitter. But yet, circumstances are such that I have this opportunity to be with the kids and to teach them, regardless of the environment (school cafeteria or classroom, I mean, what's the difference?)

A couple of weeks ago I started to feel like I was working far beneath my qualifications. I did spend 5 years getting a bachelor's degree, for crying out loud! Not like I was totally complaining because believe me, I am SO grateful to be working. However, I felt like I was entitled to have a better job because, duh, I'm freakin' amazing and a good teacher too (right??).

Then this past weekend I had a lot of time to read because I flew to the west coast and back. I read "The Last Lecture," (which I highly recommend by the way) and one of the lessons learned was that no job is beneath you. In the few paragraphs regarding this topic the author said that, "if you work in the mail room, be the best mail room mail sorter."

It got me thinking that I have the opportunity to be the best sub ever or the best after school supervisor ever. This isn't where I want to be in five years, that's true. Yet, in the meantime, I can be the best at what I do. I can learn, grow, improve and ultimately smell the roses. Heck, I don't have to lesson plan! What a blessing.

So, it has taken this slap of humility to teach me these things. I am grateful for it. Besides being the best sub ever, I am currently the best bus rider, the best walker to the grocery store, the best independent study class taker (working on that one majorly!), the best penny pincher (and working on this one), and the best volunteer ESL teacher.

There's a good reason that God gives us humility...to make us grateful for what we have in the present.

And even after all of this humility, I am still extremely happy.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm sure you're the best sub ever. I read that book you mentioned just a few months ago and thought it to be thought provoking as well. Those kids are super lucky to have you in their lives.

linda said...

Good attitude sweetie. You're the best at everything!! I'll have to read the book. I followed his blog a little before he died. He was an inspiration. And Joanna is right, the kids are so luck to have you.

Sarah Johnson said...

i thought you were speaking of subway sandwiches at first.("the best sub ever"), but then i read on. i guess my mind is still on food...
But honestly, i love the attitude. Tis so true. all we can do is be the best we can be, where we're at and with what we have. you rock susie!

DiaNe said...

good for you! The teaching world is in desperate need of better subs.

Kathryn said...

Leon would be proud of you as that's one of his life's mantras. I remember when I didn't have a calling at BYU for a year and I thought I will be the best VT ever, I was pretty good to my girls (and now looking back should have relished the time without a calling!) You are doing great and we are super excited to have you for Thanksgiving!