Friday, October 9, 2009

Take advice from old, foreign, Catholic people.

So I am subbing at this Catholic school right now (oh yes, there's a job update...in case you're all wondering.) It's a really nice school and everyone is so good to me.

I work with some funny people, particularly in the after school program. They are this eclectic group of randoms. I kinda feel like I'm on my mission again...you know, talking to people who are so different from myself, yet appreciating the insight and diversity that they bring to the table of life.

Anyway, in this after school program I work with old, foreign, Catholic people. They are from all over the world and as they get to know me they say things like this:

"Oh you're 25? You are so young. Enjoy life. Take advantage of every opportunity God gives you." -German lady

or

"Oh, you're not married yet? Don't worry, great things come to those who wait. You could marry a mediocre man and end up being miserable or you could wait a little longer and marry the best man. Then it will last forever." -Ethiopian lady

or

"You have so much ahead of you. God is watching over you and you will succeed in all that you do. You just have that kind of spirit." -Philippino man

I know that I've heard these things throughout my life but somehow hearing these same old things from old, foreign, Catholic people have really made a difference. It's nice to get a different body, with a different personality, and with a different religion to tell me these things that I already know.

Thank you old, foreign, Catholic people! Press forward saints!

2 comments:

linda said...

I love the comments of your friends. I think this little old Mormon lady has said something like that at times :) Glad you are having a good experience. You're super.

Sarah Johnson said...

geez. i forgot how much i heart old, foreign, catholic people. leave it to suzy to remind me of such glorious jewels of wisdom!