Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The third wheel curse

This curse has been with me ever since 7th grade when I realized that my boy crushes actually liked my friends more than me. Well, they liked me too, but much more in a platonic sort of way. At 7th grade that curse is way more legit. Relationships should be platonic. But the curse began then.

After I left the Dark Ages of Middle School, I emerged into the Renaissance of High School. Sure, I was still a bit awkward but getting my braces off, slimming down a bit, and establishing a stronger sense of confidence boosted my spirits and, I thought, my likelihood to break the third wheel curse. Oh I was wrong. Though I had some nice guy friends, I could never shake off the fact that they always liked my girl friends just a little bit more than me. This often resulted in me, my girl friend, and my guy friend hanging out, with the other two flirting it up while I got a few pats on the back for my good sportsmanship.

College, was going to be different, I determined it would be. It was definitely an improvement, I will give it that. I went on dates with just me and the guy. I even had a few guys liking me! Whoa. However, the curse didn't die. Surrounded by gorgeous roommates my entire college career I ended up being the sidekick or the comic relief. You know, talking it up with the boy while my roommate got ready for the date. Lots of times, they even wanted me to join them on their escapades. After a few frustrating third wheel "dates," I decided that I would rather hole up in the library on a Friday night than commit third wheel social suicide. Yet, somehow I would forget the third wheel mishaps and still try...again...to not feel left out and to be involved in the conversation and such. But oh how wrong I was! Usually those situations resulted in some ice cream, some tears, some Pride and Prejudice, and the damaged hope that someday I would not be the third wheel.

Which brings me to today. This curse hasn't ended. I often find myself, accidentally, getting into third wheel circumstances. It still occurs here in DC with the single's scene. I had hoped that the curse would end as I have matured but no, it lives and it thrives. I try to get out of it, I try to escape it, I try to avoid it at all costs, but somehow it follows me.

Maybe I should kiss a frog so that this curse will be over? Oh wait...wrong curse, wrong solution.

I don't know what the solution is, I feel like I've tried everything. All I know is that I am looking forward to being the second wheel...someday.

2 comments:

Meggie said...

bring a fourth wheel along and double!
easier said than done, I know...

DiaNe said...

it's true, you always had gorgeous roommates.