This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately...maybe because I am realizing that my life hasn't completely turned out the way that I thought it would.
A little over a year ago my friend, Ashley, and I were talking about life and how our lives take different courses, twists, and turns from one another's. Ashley, being the articulate one that she is, explained an amazing analogy to me that I feel that I should share with you (probably more for my sake than yours).
When we go to college, we all pick different majors. Because of this, the classes we take to graduate are different from each other's. As a history teaching major I took different classes than my pals in the business program or my friends in the music department. We may have taken some of the same classes (most likely generals or religion classes) but in the end my college "MAP" (as BYU calls it) will look different than yours.
However, one thing is the same: our end goal is to graduate. No matter what major you are, whether an international relations major or a mechanical engineer, graduating from college is feasible for everyone.
Now comes the real life application. In my life, I am on a different curriculum than all of you. My "classes" have been different than yours. Many of these "classes" consist of experiences, trials, friends and family members that are different than yours. Yet, our end goal is the same: We all have the potential to live eternally with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and our families.
These "classes" are tailored to fit our individual needs. They help us grow in ways that Heavenly Father knows that we need improvement in. These "classes" stretch us yet will never be too much to handle. Although I may think that someone else's "class" may be easy to pass, that person may be struggling profusely just to understand the lectures.
I realize that this is not doctrine by any means, but what I want to emphasize is that I can't compare my life, and its circumstances, and its trials to my friends or family members' life experiences, blessings, or tribulations. We're all different. Some people are not meant to have children. Some people are meant to be raised in the Gospel. Some people are meant to have great health. Some people are meant to get married young. Some people are not meant to live in a free country. Some people are meant to die young. Some people are not meant to receive an education. Whatever it is, the Lord has different plans in store for all of us.
Regardless of our own personal circumstances, the end goal is the same for everyone. But, why do we compare our lives and trials to others when they are on a completely different curriculum?
It's because we lose sight of the goal. It doesn't matter the means, just the end. As long as I am worthy to "graduate" (with honors) to my Heavenly Father, that's all that matters. The "classes" He has given me will help me to personally reach that goal.
I have to trust that God has a specific plan for me. My plan is different than your plan, but I know that He has a plan for everyone.
If I lose sight of that plan and that end goal (which will happen because I am not perfect, shocker, I know), then at least this post can remind me that my curriculum is different than yours.
Thank you, Ashley, for teaching me this vital lesson over a year ago. And thank you, Holy Ghost, for confirming this to my stubborn heart and mind over and over again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Susie - you don't know me, and it's totally random how I found your blog -- a Google Alert for anything dealing with Mount Vernon, GA (where I am located)... It must have picked up the Mount Vernon in your blog. However, what is amazing is that I just blogged about Jere. 29:11-13 - "I know the plans I have for you...to give you a future and a hope." Thanks so much for your message. May God continue to bless you! My blog is on myspace : www.myspace.com/daylilygrl
Have a great day!
-Kelley
Thanks for sharing that Susie, it was wonderful! You and Ashley always had such great talks and you have always inspired me to keep the end goal in mind even when things get rough. You're amazing and you deserve to have amazing things happen to you. I know that they already have and will continue to happen to you. Love you :)
Thanks Susie! I totally needed to hear that right now! I need to make sure and always keep the end goal in mind and not get caught up in all the little set backs in my "classes". Thanks!
I believe everything you said was doctrine. Well said.
Susie that was awesome. I think we all need to hear things like that sometimes. But I totally feel you. It's hard to see other people in their different tracks of life and wonder why yours is so different. I'm feeling a lot of the same feelings you are lately. You're amazing! Love you!
Post a Comment