Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Misfit

I have now been home for a week and I have been down to Provo a total of 5 times.

It has been wonderful to see old friends, coworkers, ward members, and roommates.

I bask in the beauty of the mountains and soak in the unique culture of BYU.

However...

I no longer feel like a part of the campus, but rather a misfit.

No longer do I feel that BYU holds all of my hopes for the future.
No longer do I feel that I need to be a BYU student to feel comfortable in my own skin
No longer do I feel that my happiness rests on whether or not I am currently attending BYU

Rather,

I am excited to burst the BYU bubble
I am excited to use my BYU education to thrive in the real world
I am excited to meet more people, outside of BYU, and see how they perceive the world
I am excited to take what I have learned in Provo and apply it to my future
I am excited to fly my wings and grow

Thank you, BYU, for your education. It has been a life changing and highly influential experience.

Maybe being a misfit now isn't so bad after all.

3 comments:

Samuel Bradley said...

go cougs

Baerman said...

I think this is the natural phenomena that takes place as we move from one stage of life to the next - some of it might be pyschological, other spiritual. Either way, being a misfit is better than being trapped in any time of life geographically, emotionally, mentally, etc. Keep being a misfit!

DiaNe said...

You will quickly realize (if you haven't already) that BYU hasn't prepared you for real life. Luckily, you are well-rounded enough to mold to the real life you are about to enter. Tell me how it is...eventually I'll spread my wings.