A few days ago, Friday to be exact, I went to my mission reunion! The Ashtons (my mission president) have a big red barn in Wallsburg, up near Heber. It is a beautiful piece of country. It was great to reunite with CTWM folk and to see the Ashtons. I felt giddy saying hi to all of my old companions, district leaders, APs, etc...I was reminded, once again, how my mission literally changed my life for the better.
A few days ago, friday to be exact, I went to my mission reunion! The Ashtons (my mission president) have a big red barn in Wallsburg, up near Heber. It is a beautiful piece of country. It was great to reunite with CTWM folk and to see the Ashtons. I felt giddy saying hi to all of my old companions, district leaders, APs, etc...I was reminded, once again, how my mission literally changed my life for the better. (FYI...Above is a picture of me and my greenie, Sister Katie Simpson, one of the best missionaries in the CTWM)
These are some ways I feel like I have been changed forever because of my mission. Feel free to agree/disagree with any of these. (I hope you don't disagree though)
1. I have made some of my best friends on my mission who have taught me some incredibly amazing and incredibly difficult lessons. I am grateful to these friends who are not only fun to be with, but who spiritually uplift me and make me want to be a better person.
2. I understand what charity is...it is so much more than giving away money, liking someone a lot because I know they like me, or smiling at your neighbor who you secretly despise. Charity is not giving away money, but giving away time. Putting the person first over the circumstance. Charity is loving my enemies, yes, this means that they don't like me, they may even hate me. Heaven forbid. Charity is smiling at that person because you have a sincere love for them, even if that love is not reciprocated. In addition, charity is having unconditional love for someone, even when they disappoint you or hurt you. I heard a quote once that has really affected me: "True charity occurs when you stop keeping score." I love that. I am still developing this Christ-like attribute as is everyone else, but I believe my mission gave me a solid foundation of charity.
3. I have a greater eternal perspective of the Lord's plan for me. This means that I have greater trust in Heavenly Father. I know He is aware of me and my righteous desires. I know that everything in my life has a purpose, however small or insignificant it may be. I know that through change and trial, He is my constant. But believe me, I struggle with this a lot still...my "natural man" tendencies come out and I get really impatient for his plan to be revealed. However, even when I do get discouraged, in the back of my mind, I know it will all work out.
4. My love and knowledge for my Savior Jesus Christ has expanded and grown. I realize that it is through His enabling power that I can do all things. He gives me the ability to smile after a nervous breakdown, think about someone else when I want to only think of myself, and to pay that compliment to someone when I am not in the mood to be social. I know that His atonement is real in my life. My mission taught me to rely on it daily; for we could not do the work alone.
There are many more things that I can say about the mission; so many trivial and worldly lessons, like how to follow a map, when to take your shoes off in someone's home and when not to, and how to talk to someone about the Book of Mormon in the dead Canadian winter.
However, I felt like I needed to express my gratitude for serving a mission. I am so glad mission reunion could remind me! Any thoughts, feelings?? Please post!
5 comments:
I really love those insights Suz! That's what I love to hear, and good to be reminded. You're so cool.
Honey I am so proud of you. I can tell from hanging out with you that something has changed. You're not a girl...not yet a woman.
I'm glad you got to go to your reunion. And even more glad that you made it home through the canyons afterward.
Diane, I am a woman...now! Haha. I remember my first year or two of college my brother Stephen telling me that I was in that awkward in between stage. But I think he'd agree with me in saying that I am no longer a girl but a full on woman. Roar. Britney Spears on the other hand...well, that's a different issue. Thank you both for your comments.
Susie, I'm so glad you went on a mission. What confidence it has given you. Sam gave away two Books of Mormon Wednesday night and he totally comitted them to read and take the challenge in Moroni. I felt completely inadequate to add anything to what he was saying. Bad me! So yes, I agree with the things you said and appreciate your words. Love that quote about keeping score. So true!
girl, I want to read more about your life! Blog me, baby!
Post a Comment