Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"I'm a survivor, I'm not gon give up"...can you hear Destiny's Child??

So today was my first time teaching at a high school ever. I survived! Sure, I have volunteered before, but that's nothing in comparison with managing a class, taking roll, ignoring questions that are inappropriate, giving directions, and making sure these students are actually learning something! Yeah, definitely different than touchy feely Relief Society. My practicum teacher (who is my adviser in this whole pre-student teaching process) warned me that this class would be the class of HE**...so I prepared myself for a horrible time at Lehi High School today. However, I actually had fun. Besides a few students students dissing on BYU football (why I outta...) and not having the desire to complete their school work, the entire time I thought to myself, "hey, I can do this and I can be darn good at this." Oh, I just loved joking around with the students and playing off of their comments that were supposed to throw me off. I did learn very quickly that not everyone loves history and not everyone loves to learn. I think I subconsciously know those things, but in my mind when I think of teaching I think of an ideal classroom where students love to learn and want to contribute to the learning process...WRONG...yah, it's pulling teeth out there! But, I think I have found something besides my "high school talents" (aka...I can sing, I can play basketball, I made the honor roll...) that I'm good at. I can teach! Wow, I have more talents! This is exciting. Stay tuned for more.

p.s. I just found out that I got 100% on my midterm for my Teaching Methods class. Go me.

3 comments:

john said...

Come teach in Las Vegas when you are through.

DiaNe said...

Hooray! I always knew you'd be good at it. I remember the first day I actually realized that some students will come into my class HATING everything to do with English. It's teaching them that is the hardest.

But you're more than capable.

Chrissie said...

Wave the flag! Good job Susie!