Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Putting Out Fires

Some days at work, all I do is put out fires. Meaning, I try to "nip problems in the bud" before they escalate into something chaotic. Lesson planning and grading often awaits me in the evening when I am not on the clock. During the day I spend my time putting out fires. Oh joy.

Like today, this is what I did:

  • Spent 30 minutes at lunch teaching a kid how to walk into my classroom with respect and manners. Otherwise, he just goes CRAZY! Fire, out...hopefully
  • Talked to the Dean of Students about a kid who hasn't fulfilled his detention yet for my class. He hasn't come yet, but hopefully fire will be put out.
  • Talked to the football coach about 2 of my students who are struggling and need to fulfill their detention. Fire put out for one of them...
  • Saw the JROTC teacher and told him about a student sleeping in my class...hopefully fire put out.
  • Called parents and discussed student#1
  • Ran into basketball coach and discussed another student who is falling asleep in class
  • Talked to an administrator about a student who doesn't complete her assignments and is a little disrespectful.
  • Held detention for 6 kids today...Fire put out, please?
Lets just hopes these fires stay dormant. I don't know how much of this I can take!

3 comments:

linda said...

You're a strong woman!

Julie with sticktoitkids.com said...

Don't know about fires in the classroom, but oh, how I know about putting out the fires in the home. This will be great preparation for family life...all aspects of.

Chrissie said...

You're amazing Sue!