Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mayan Magnifique

My dream came true! I got to see some Mayan ruins! In all honesty a year ago I could have cared less about seeing these sites. However, after teaching a Mesoamerica unit, I instantly fell in love. After the Polochic, I toured the ruins for 2 days. It was painfully hot and humid, but I definitely gained an appreciation for their culture and civilization.

Pre-ruin hike.


The first peek.Can't you imagine Abinadi preaching in this court yard? Incredible.


Spectacular.

Whohoo! A jumping picture is a must next to any cool building.

Steep steps up to the top.

Squinty eyes.

Inside the temple.

Taking a rest at the top with the whole group.

There's a face behind me that's smiling, that's why I took this picture. You just can't see it.

Yep, a face like this. This is amazing.

The next morning we woke up at 3:30am to go to the top of Temple #4 and watch the sunrise. It was absolutely amazing.


Anyone recognize this view from a very popular movie??????


Another ruin!
Groupies
After we hiked the ruins we went zip-lining! AHHH...In all honesty, I was really scared at first, but then it was a blast.

All of us.

I am a pro. I also did it upside down as well as "Superlady" style as shown below.

Mayan ruins = Magnificent. Go see it. Or read about it. Or do something...

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so glad you went to Tikal and Antigua while you were down there! Aren't they amazing?