Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Hotness Within

This last week was my first ever week as an EFY counselor. EFY (Especially for Youth) is a camp for LDS youth. It's spiritually uplifting and tons of fun. Not only do the youth attend classes about the Gospel of Jesus Christ (see www.mormon.org), they also participate in cheers, games, dances, service projects, and sports. I got to be in charge of these youth, teach them the Gospel, dance with them, help them win their games, and be a friend. I loved it.

Yes, it was absolutely exhausting but totally worth it! I felt like I served a 5 day mission. The girls in my group were between 16-18. They often remarked how the guys were "sooooo hot." I used that term a lot at that age and occasionally do now. However, I reminded them that it's the "hotness within" that counts the most. They laughed. And it kind of became the theme of the week...developing the hotness within.

What a great week though! Let me share some of the good times I had. (This is why I have been so negligent of my blog).

Here I am with my nephew and niece who also attended EFY the same week. So cute.


The girls pretended to worship me. I gently reminded them to not worship idols, but to only worship God and Jesus Christ. They got a kick out of it but still did it anyways. I basked in my one minute of glory...Then quickly repented.


Here they are making up their cheer for the cheer off that night.


Here are a few of my lovely girls...


Getting pumped up for the cheer off. I lost my voice this week because I played cheer leader so much!

Our group banner. Our group was called "After this Manner"...which is found in Moroni 7-17. It was a cool banner.

And here is their cheer! We didn't win anything, but they had fun with it. I especially like the boys' sound effects! Enjoy.



Here we are being silly. What I do best.


Me and a few of the girls at Thursday morning's devotional.


The guys trying to look cool with their "big" muscles. Whatevs.


Some of the boys stole my camera and this is what transpired...

And this...

The girls and I. One of the boys said that there was a spider and we all freaked out. Some for reals and others for show.

All 36 of us posed "After this Manner"


My co-counselors and I. Adam, Kristopher and Tricia.


Tricia and I. She is so awesome and moving to NYC so I think I will be seeing her when I head to DC.
Beautiful girls. A Mormon man's haven.


Never have so many men demanded my attention. Too bad they're all 16...


What a fantastic 5 days. Not only were the youth strengthened, but I was too. God bless EFY.

2 comments:

linda said...

What a fun time you must have had. Super counselor!!

Sarah Johnson said...

the hotness within. point duly noted, thanks susie! it looks like you rocked efy and efy rocked you. now i feel jipped for never attending while in my youth!!