Allow me to explain...
I am one of those drivers that can sometimes get paranoid that a cop is behind me. I'm not one for speeding and I'm usually pretty good at following all the rules of driving. However, the mere idea of a cop pulling me over freaks me out, so sometimes I get super-duper paranoid and I look at my rear view mirror just to make sure that no copper is following me.
What results? An obsession with what's behind me and not what's in front of me. I get so caught up with the cars behind me and making sure that a white car is not a cop car that I am not focusing on the cars next to me and the cars in front of me. In other words, if I am not careful I could get seriously hurt by not focusing on what's ahead of me. Maybe I'll rear-end someone or I won't see a car changing lanes. Many things could happen.
Maybe you can see where I'm going with this (and if you know me well, a Gospel connection is definitely coming).
I think that I sometimes get so caught up with my past experiences that I do not focus on the present nor do I look to the future. President Monson once said something to the affect that we must learn from the past which I agree whole-heartedly with; but we shouldn't revel in it or focus all of our energies on what once was.
I have to remember this. I have had some amazing experiences in the past: NYC, London, Toronto, DC, BYU, Disney World, trips to Cali and the list goes on. I have had some wonderful friends too...and some of those friends I don't talk to anymore. As sad as it can be to move on with life, it's a must. I have to look to my future. If I only focus on the past experiences, past friends, past feelings, and past sins it may hinder my growth or it may "kill" me, spiritually speaking.
So now is the time for me to enjoy the ride of my life. Sure, I am still freaking out about what I'm doing with my life but I can't keep looking back in order to find happiness in the present.
Happiness lies on the road ahead of me too.
p.s. I am still a good driver. Please do not worry.
(I found this on google images, crazy eh?)
3 comments:
still a good driver? were you ever really that good, suz?
As the "mother baer" I have to come to her defense: she's a great little driver! Loved the gospel references -- it's so true. We must look forward.
nice analogy! I am impressed with you.
Post a Comment