Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ain't goin' be stopped by nobody

For a long time I used to let people decide my sociality. With many social activities, I used to go or not go depending on whether or not my friends went to those social events. I remember times when I was so excited to go to a dance and then I learned that none of my close friends were going to go anymore. Crushed, I usually ended up settling for a mediocre movie rather than go to a dance that I looked forward to for weeks. Essentially I let others determine my sociality, not myself.

Well out with the old and in with the new. Since I've been in college, I have been much better about doing things that I want to do. However, I still felt held back to a degree until this past year. Suddenly I realized that I have interests that not all of my friends share; but I still wanted to do them. Now if I want to do something that is not agreeable by the masses, I still go. It's not easy by any means, but I am proud to say that every time I end up doing something that I really enjoy, I am ALWAYS happy that I did it and that I didn't let anyone stop me from doing it.

Tonight my ward had a Valentine's Day party (yes, one week late). I had planned on going for a few weeks. Well, today we went to Gettysburg and I knew I would be tired. I figured that many of my roommates wouldn't want to go because of the long day. I knew I had a choice: I could not go and stay with the roomies and fall into a homebody slumber or I could do what I originally wanted--go to the ward party.

I went to the party and it was a blast. I made new friends, enriched acquaintances, and danced the night away. I have a renewed testimony that I am the one that determines my happiness and my sociality.

No one is going to stop me from doing what I want to do; the only person who will stop me from doing what I want is myself.

Amen.

4 comments:

Crystal Foy Weber said...

AMEN SISTA! I'm proud of you :)

A and M said...

Oh my gosh Suzie! I found a link to your blog through Sarah's blog! So fun to see how you're doing! Looks like you're doing great! Probably old news, but welcome back from your mission and how fun is that you're in D.C.?! Live it up!

DiaNe said...

I LOVE the new blog title. It Suits you.

Mark Newman said...

proud is you, it's hard to put yourself out there like that but it can be rewarding. Miss and love you.