Sunday, September 9, 2012

The grumps.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but as I am getting older, I am realizing more and more what I need to be a happy and positive person.  After a few days of feeling like a grump, I have discovered what makes me get the grumps. There's a reason why I was called Oscar the Grouch growing up. My adult Oscar does come back on occasion and here's why:

  1. I don't get enough sleep. I need at least 7 to function well.
  2. I don't have something to eat readily available. I need to eat every 2-3 hours, at least!
  3. I like to be comfortable and if I'm in an uncomfortable place, especially when I'm trying to sleep, I get unhappy. That's why camping has never really been my thing.
  4. You tease me when all or one of the #'s 1-3 are occurring and I will get extra grumpy.
  5. I get lost in a big city while driving, or just sometimes driving in the city, period.
  6. You fail to recognize that my job zaps away a ton of my energy, enthusiasm, and time. Then you question me when I'm not feeling perky and Susie-like. Please don't.
  7. I don't get enough Susie time. Yes, hard to believe but I do need quiet time to be at my best.
  8. You misconstrue,  misunderstand, or do not validate my communication style and/or my feelings. And the walls come up!
  9. I am unable to get basic things done which prevents me from preparing for the rest of the week.
  10. You tell me to suck it up and be happy when I am feeling sad. Sometimes it's OK to be sad!
There you have it! I can be grumpy! Yes, I kind of am right now. Don't talk to me. 

3 comments:

Julie with sticktoitkids.com said...

I'm talking to you, Oscar! :)

Sarah Johnson said...

haha, love it!!! most excellent blog post indeed.

Joanna said...

At our house we call each other Grumplestilskins when we're in a funk.