Friday, August 27, 2010

Finding my (teaching) niche.

Okay people, I now have week one of the new school year under my belt. And boy, does it feel good. I think I am most excited that I am now done with repeating the syllabus lecture 5 different times. Phew.

I've decided that one of the hardest parts about teaching is finding your niche; ultimately figuring out how you teach and what works for you. Now, I am not claiming that I have found my niche because I believe it's an ongoing process. But at the same time, I am way ahead of the game now than I was 8 months ago.

I now understand the following aspects about teaching that are absolutely vital. (and if this means nothing to you, then tough).
  • Procedures (telling kids what you expect of them when they come into class, how they act in class, where to find missing work, etc)
  • Posting your rules and explaining to the students why you have them and how they allow us to have an effective learning environment.
  • Posting consequences for breaking rules and then enforcing them.
  • Drilling these over and over again till the students can explain them over and over again.
And here are the results:
  • Very little yelling and waiting for students to pay attention
  • Students starting their warm-up before class begins and doing it quietly
  • Students telling me that they like that my class has structure and high expectations
  • Kids not acting out after I threaten them with detention.
Wow! What a difference it has made! This is a completely different school year than the last. And it feels good.

Granted, I am teaching 9th grade and school just started but I am enjoying this as long as I can.

The niche is coming along nicely...Excellent.

1 comment:

DiaNe said...

Excellent! You are way ahead of the learning curve. I feel like I just learned that this year. One week done! Congrats.