
In the last few years, I have been proud of myself for being the one who doesn't live the cookie-cutter LDS girl's life: college, marriage, baby, finish college. You know, the girl who has taken the road less traveled. Not that I have ever refused the cookie-cutter life, as in reality, I have always yearned for it. And not that that life is bad...at all. I would never rat on those of you who are currently married with children. But because of circumstances I have not led that life. So I have focused on the many great things I have done and that I am striving to do with my single life: making friends, enhancing my professional opportunities, and planning fun trips. I have found that fulfilling, though the cookie cutter life still holds a strong smell of desire.
Yes, the road less traveled is exciting. Doing different things with your life than others ever imagined for you. I know that growing up in California, I was always the one predicted to get married first (or at least second) out of my group of friends. In some ways it's nice to say, "See, look what I've done with my life! Different than what you thought, huh?" and grin with a sense of accomplishment.
However, I will honestly admit, the road less traveled is also very lonely.
It means that because I have a different life than many of my friends my age, I don't have a baby to dote on. My husband isn't available to go on family trips or to come to dinner with my friends and I. The house that my spouse and I own consists of the one bedroom that is decorated in my five bedroom townhouse. And, no, there will be no 2nd baby soon...not even a chance.
The road less traveled makes me feel like an oddball; someone that doesn't completely fit with the rest of Mormonia. Going to your home ward with the girl you used to babysit, and her husband, and her bulging stomach doesn't help either.
It's at this point in my life where I am, again, reminded that my life hasn't turned out as planned. Yes, I can make the best of it, I can choose to be happy, and I can do really cool and exotic things. Yet, when push comes to shove, I will admit that I wish I could've taken the road more traveled.
No comments:
Post a Comment