Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Smell the Relish

Being out here in DC has been good for me in so many ways. I can't even begin to explain it. I love and cherish my time at BYU, but I have to admit, it has been a great escape to back into the real world...though in some ways I suppose I still live in a Mormon bubble.

The greatest breath of fresh air are the friends and people I surround myself with. There's just a different mentality. Yes, everyone here wants to have a family and get married (I do question some boys...) but it's not the end of the world if you're not. You're just as smart and capable and worthwhile being single. I love it. There's also this mentality to smell the roses or to relish in the moment. Or as I like to say, smell the relish. In other words, I am out here enjoying my single hood and not wondering when it will end. Sure, some days I do wonder, but for the most part I try to think about the great opportunities before me because I am single.

Here are some ways that I am smelling the relish...

  • Every morning that I can sleep in, be lazy, do just 2 loads of laundry, and eat ice cream for breakfast.
  • The opportunity that I have to enhance my abilities and skills as a professional.
  • Grad school on the horizon. Me a masters? I never would've dreamed until now...
  • Dance parties galore! Sure some are lame, but am I going to attend these while married? Not likely.
  • The chance to travel and explore the beauties of the east coast
  • Lots and lots of friend time. Lots and lots of flirt time.
  • Exercising whenever I want to.
  • Being able to serve in the community. I am loving my ESL class that I teach Wednesday nights.
There are many more opportunities that lie ahead of me. I constantly have to remember to smell the relish in all that I do. This time may not last for long...I must live it up while I can.

1 comment:

Carrie Lynn said...

Just so you know- Scott and I love to go to dance parties.