Saturday, July 11, 2009

Start Recruiting Them

This past week I did EFY again up in Logan. Hence, why I have been MIA for a little while (and it will kind of continue as I am going up for 2 more weeks!). Pictures will eventually come.

I learned a lot this past week. The girls in the group were not very unified. Although I loved them all individually, some were not very welcoming and kind to others. This really weighed on my sensitive heart. If there is not peace, I cannot function until some solution has been made. I had to confront various girls this week about their attitude and participation in the group. I could have gone about this in a very negative way. I could have tried to force them to get along with one another and be friends. I could have scolded them for not showing charity towards the other girls in the group. I was tempted to do both of these things but I know from past experience that you cannot change other people. You have to allow them to change on their own.

So I did some recruiting this week. I think it was pretty effective. I discussed with these young women their talents and gifts. I expressed my appreciation for their unique personalities. I told them my love and concern for them and the rest of the group. I invited them to use their strengths as a springboard towards group unity. Rather than reprimanding them for their weaknesses and "clickiness," I asked them to be aware of the other girls. I recruited them to sit by the group during lunch. I recruited them to take another girl under their wing. I recruited them to find other people to talk to during morning scripture study. I recruited them to give the boys and girls a chance.

There weren't any amazing miracles. But I do think the group dynamics did change for the better. I learned this very important lesson this week. If we recognize in others their altruistic qualities and other strengths, we can recruit them to join our cause for good. In turn, they can be made aware of others without the pressure from outside influences.

Anyway, there it is. If we show forth an increase of love and concern, people will respond.

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

Thanks Susie! What a good reminder for me, especially to be that way in parenting. I appreciate you sharing your insight with us all!