On my mission I remember feeling discouraged a lot of the time because I simply wanted to know if I influenced people for the better. I felt like I put forth so much effort everyday in trying to help people come unto Christ that I often wondered if anyone besides myself was benefiting from all of this. Looking back I kind of chuckle because...Daaa...of course I influenced people!! I was a missionary for crying out loud! However, I never received a ton of thanks for my 1.5 years service. And I didn't need to and I still don't need to. I felt that thanks primarily from the Lord and that has been enough for me to feel satisfied with my mission in Toronto.
This semester has been great for so many different reasons. I feel like I've grown in many ways. I came into it telling myself that I was going to put myself out there and make the best of my new situation. I wasn't going to change myself for anyone nor was I going to let other people affect me. I was just Susie, like it or not. I'm not saying this to boast or anything, but I think a lot of people liked me. I am surprised how much good we can do by just being who we are, living the commandments, and being aware of others. I have been happily surprised that so many people are "kicking and screaming" that I am moving to D.C. in a few weeks. I am definitely flattered. I just never thought that me being in Condo Row for three months would have that much effect on anyone. I kind of thought I'd be one of those phantom church goers...you know renew my covenants, fulfill my calling, but not be overly involved.
Somehow I got found out. And I can honestly say that I will miss this place I now call home.
So going back to my mission. I often did not know my influence but this semester I have. It has been a huge blessing to know that in any situation we're in, we can make a difference to someone. We can be an influence. We can be their answer to prayer. Heaven knows many of my prayers have been answered this semester and many have influenced me for the better.
I am grateful to feel so enriched by others and I am glad that I could be there for them when they needed it and vice-versa.
Sometimes we know our influence and sometimes we don't. But regardless, we just have to keep going forward in our life. Who knows who's life we will touch next?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's always nice to feel important and liked.
I am kicking and screaming! I'm thrilled about this opportunity for you, but I feel like we've gotten a lot closer since you've gotten back from the mission.
We'll make sure you go out in style.
Post a Comment