Today was the last day of school...for the students. I need to go in for a few hours tomorrow and for a meeting on Monday then I am outta here...for the summer at least.
I can't believe I actually survived. For the last 5 months I honestly felt that I was drowning in first year teacherdom. And I didn't even do a full year! I did the fast-trek route and it was absolutely exhausting: emotionally, mentally, and physically. For 5 months I planned 15 lessons/week, graded papers and projects, sat in IEP/faculty/department meetings, called security on myriads of students, wrote about 50 disciplinary forms, designed assignments and tests, broke up fights, called parents, cried on a weekly basis, and felt completely inadequate a majority of the time. Yes, it was absolutely miserable.
But I survived. And according to my administrator, my main job this past semester was to simply survive. And guess what? I am actually coming back next year! So the misery did not deter me from my destiny as a teacher.
I feel at a loss of words, honestly. But as I have communicated in the past, I couldn't have done it without 1. the Lord 2. the Savior 3. My family/friends 4. All of the prayers I have received on my behalf. So if you're reading this: THANK YOU for your support and words of encouragement.
YOU HELPED ME SURVIVE!
ps. School's out for the summer. Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's so funny because those of us out here are looking at your blog seeing trips to Puerto Rico, BSB concerts, 2nd proms and dance parties. Then all the sudden you write about the hardest 5 months of your life. I mean, I know it's blog, It just made me laugh :) Way to focus the on the positive on here, Suse. I had no idea it was so hard.
congrats on surviving, i know it must have been so hard! but you are a wonderful teacher and those kids are lucky to have you :)
Yay!!! I'm so impressed with you, Susie. I feel like since I haven't seen you in person this past year you're going to be a totally different person when I see you next--just simply because of this experience that you have had over the past year. Congratulations on getting a year under your belt. They're lucky to have you there.
Yes dear we made it!!
Post a Comment