So as happy as I am to be a future teacher, I can't help but get really annoyed with my teachers at BYU who supposedly teach us how to teach. With a few exceptions, my teachers are not the best. They are kind souls who have deep and abiding testimonies of the Gospel, which I appreciate. However, having so much love for students or for education itself does not guarantee that you are an effective teacher. As much as I love a million personal stories, an hour straight of lecture, or a teacher who shows no passion or knowledge of the subject, I just can't help but analyze people's teaching styles all the time.
This skill can be a strength, but it's also a weakness. Before I know it, I analyze teachers at church and how they present the material. Needless to say, I think I just need to pray to enjoy the lesson and not be so quick to judge. But seriously though, going back to my education teachers, I can't stay sitting for 2.5 hours! I know I've been in school for 20 years, but seriously, I do have some tendencies for ADHD or maybe I'm developing it! Bottom line: If you become a teacher, like as your profession, and you're teaching at BYU, please be good. Please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's all about incentives. If they paid me $90k to be a teacher, I'd love every second of it...and I'd be dang good at it too.
HA- I know exactley what you mean.. no really...
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I totally wrote about this once too:
http://lovelifeandlearn.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-i-teach.html
Post a Comment